Google Android Development Agency SASS

Thursday 7 May 2009

UK G1 Owners - Get Android Cupcake early!

The rumour mill has been in full swing with regards to the early push out of Android 1.5 "Cupcake" to UK T-Mobile G1 users. Whether or not they really have started the push remains to be seen (I've not had it) but the folks over at Andblogs.net have posted how you can get it early.

First things first, grab the update: UK 1.5 Cupcake Update (CRB17) (5)


Save it to the sd card, named “update.zip”. (If you use windows, be sure you aren’t naming it something like “update.zip.zip”.) Reboot your phone in recovery mode (hold down ‘home’ while booting until you see the diamond warning.)


Now time to update! Press Alt-L. (This will turn on logging, so you can see what is going on.) Then Alt-S will apply the update.zip from the sd card. When it finishes, it’ll reboot.



I'm just trying, fingers crossed!

Oh, and don't blame me if you brick your phone, like I said - I've not tried it yet! Don't know if this works for countries other than the UK either, I'd suspect not but feel free to comment if you know otherwise.

Update!



My phone exploded in a huge fireball! Just kidding, after a nerve wracking few reboots with some cryptic logos I finally got a shiny new animating silver Android logo and I'm now smothered in delicious Cupcake.

Here are a couple of money shots:

The much-talked about touchscreen keyboard.


New homescreen icons (and check out my sweet (get it?) NIN Downward Spiral wallpaper, in your face iPhone!):


In the inimitable words of fake James Hetfield, sprinkles GOOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment