Google Android Development Agency SASS

Tuesday 1 December 2009

At last! A good UML Editor for Visual Studio

For years I've been trying various different UML/CASE tools for designing .NET based solutions and until now I've always been left diasappointed. (I've not tried the new in-built tools of Visual Studio 2010 yet...)

This week I've been working on an e-commerce system for a client of ours who have chosen to use Sagepay as their payment gateway. Their site is built on the Kentico CMS platform and the Kentico E-commerce system doesn't support Sagepay out of the box, so basically I'm designing a payment provider for it.

I decided to try once again to find something decent to do Use Case diagrams, Activity diagrams, ST diagrams etc in so that I don't have to resort to Visio and Word as always.

Praise Jebus! Something good at last in the form of Tangible T4 Editor for Visual Studio. This is a plugin for VS.NET which allows you to create half-decent looking UML painlessly.

Here's an Activity diagram for the aforementioned e-commerce system I'm working on:




The only gripe I have so far is with the Use-case diagram tool; it would be really nice to be able to double-click on a use-case to open up a text-view of the actual use case allowing me to document the steps and pre and post conditions.

Here's the best bit: THERE'S A FREE VERSION!

No comments:

Post a Comment