Google Android Development Agency SASS

Friday 24 April 2009

Problems with Android 1.5 pre release

Just been trying the pre-release of Android 1.5 and hit a problem with one of the new features of the emulator.

With this version, you can create "Android Virtual Devices" (AVDs) which allow you to run multiple configurations of the emulator side-by-side without having to run long command line switches.

I'd created my new 1.5 AVD using

android create avd --name cc --target 3 --sdcard 16M --skin HVGA

but then trying to invoke (emulator @cc) it gave the error

could not locate a virtual device named 'cc'

If you run into this problem, you can diagnose what's wrong by running

emulator -debug avd_config -avd cc

Running this gave me a weird path problem, the emulator was trying to find the .ini file for my AVD in c:\Users\Andy\ instead of e:\andy\. (I'm on Vista and my profile is on drive e:\).

To fix this, all I had to do was create a new environment variable ANDROID_SDK_HOME and point this at the moved profile directory. Restarted the command line so that it would register the variable and all was well.

Now for some Cupcake fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment